[Pmwiki-users] Re: OT: Keyboard layouts

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon Jun 14 12:00:22 CDT 2004

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 11:32:19AM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> >
> > Oh, that's right... you don't even need shift do you?
> >
> > Off-topic: Isn't that kind of weird... how often is '[' and ']' used in
> > normal text?
>
> One thing to remember ...

I think you have too much time on your hands... ;-)

[snip]

>  However, Palm's internal display keyboard and the various "thumbpad"
> keyboards still use QWERTY because that's what buyers have come to
> expect, and an unfamiliar layout is perceived as a bad thing.  This
> isn't to say Palm or others have made a design error--it's just that
> different groups have different ideas of "optimal" solutions.

Their idea of "optimial" probably involves maximizing profit instead of
maximizing the PDA's usability... I guess this could be a case of
hysteresis, i.e. it'd take a relatively large user base that was
comfortable with a different keyboard before they dare market towards it.
/Christian