[Pmwiki-users] Reflection on link syntax

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed Jun 30 16:52:54 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 04:00:41PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> However, I think it would make a lot of sense
> to use a "->" markup for the alternate ordering, as in
>    [[The PmWiki web site -> http://www.pmwiki.org]]

Actually, the more I think about this, the more I think I like having
both syntaxes available, as in

   [[target | link text]]
   [[text -> target]]

The first is natural when one is thinking "link to target but use this
other text", while the second is natural when is thinking "show this
text, and link it to target".

And no, I'm not a fan of  [[target <- text]], because the arrow
is pointing in the "wrong" direction.  Normally one thinks of a
link as going "forward" to another location, so having an arrow
going "backward" just seems wrong to me.

Pm

P.S.:  What about [[link text --link title-> target]], where "link title"
provides the title attribute for the link?  :-)  The extra hyphens
would be optional syntactic sugar.