[Pmwiki-users] alt text for images

Tommy Hern tommyhern
Mon Mar 1 23:31:46 CST 2004

Pm, thanks for getting to the alt text issue. I know I am dreaming, but
while you are talking of compulsory author ID, how about defaulting the
same for alt text? It is (or will be) the law in many situations. As to
"quotes, angle brackets, and the like,"  it probably would not/should
not happen(see #1 below), and they sound awful when read by
screenreaders anyway! . If  you somehow figure a way to do this, and
anyone wants to bypass the default,  see #2 below.
Alt text tips from WebAIM.org:
 http://www.webaim.org/techniques/images/5#accuracy

   1. Ensure that the text alternatives communicate the purpose of the
      graphic accurately and succinctly.
   2. Provide empty or "null" alt text for graphics which do not convey
      content.
   3. Provide alt text for both the main image and the hot spots of
      image maps.
   4. Do not repeat the alt text of an image in the adjacent text.
   5. Do not put important images in the background

thanks, TRH