[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Image sizes, alt tags, and more (was: Image display resizing problem)

Christian Ridderström chr
Tue Mar 2 13:44:08 CST 2004

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:43:53PM +0100, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> >
> > But I think all of this is really overdoing it... shouldn't a wiki be easy
> > to use, and if that's the case, why should you be fiddling with stuff like
> > 'width', 'height' etc?  (Alternate text might be motivated although, but I
> > doubt it's used often enough to motivate not using a wiki style to set the
> > alternate text).

> web standards it's quite important that web sites be able to specify
> alt= text for images.  For many organizations that might wish to use
> PmWiki meaningful alt= attributes are actually required as a matter of
> policy or law.

Ok, so the goal is to figure out a syntax that let's the author
easily/intuitively specify the alternate text (and we can more or less
ignore width/height for the easy/simple syntax).

If I go back to your original idea, it was something like:

	http://foo.bar/image.png?alt=some_alternate_text
or	http://foo.bar/image.png#alt=some_alternate_text

Could we make it even simpler? Assuming that '"' aren't allowed in URIs
and my use of '=' below is ok in this context, how about this:
	http://foo.bar/image.png=="some alternate text"

where the idea would be that the equal signs makes us think of the text as
something that's equal to the image. Anyway, just another wild idea ;-)

> > Except that then the author might think that arbitrary HTML is valid :-P
>
> Exactly, which is why I've been avoiding that.

I was just teasing you ;-)

/Christian

PS. I really like the [[table]]-directives btw.