[Pmwiki-users] intuitive learning

Lloyd Budd lloyd
Tue Mar 2 18:55:56 CST 2004

On 2-Mar-04, at 12:41, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:14:54PM -0500, Lloyd Budd wrote:

>>> So, in your first example above, ?, PmWiki is
>>> treating the "values" part as part of the free link, and since
>>> there's
>>> no space after the link name, it's displayed as a citation link
>>> ("[1]").
>>> There's probably a reasonable argument to be made that this isn't
>>> very
>>> intutitive, but it is consistent.
>>
>> Interesting dilemma.  Assuming that people would only ever do [[{{free
>> link}}text]] because they do not understand all of  pmwiki's power, I
>> think the question becomes, what is the likely reason for someone to
>> make this mistake, and is the current implementation intuitive for
>> identifying the problem and allowing for unassisted correction?
>>
>> I think the answer to these questions suggest that it would be better
>> to render 'philosophyvalues'.
>
> This was discussed at some length when free links were first
> implemented
> in PmWiki, and at the time we decided that since every other occurrence
> of [[<something> text]] was displayed as "text", we shouldn't break
> that
> model just because <something> was a free link, as that would also
> cause confusion.

How does what I am proposing break that model?  My suggestion is
specifc to when there is no space between the {{free link}} and text ,
as in {{free link}}text.  When within a [[citation]], I can only
imagine this to be a user error.  The proposed rendering would make
this error more obvious.  I do not really care that much either way --
at least not until people come asking me what is going on ;-)

Thank you,
Lloyd