[Pmwiki-users] How best to develop a wiki farm

Richard Canning rcanning
Thu Mar 11 17:39:38 CST 2004

I do like this idea. I currently have about 6 installs of PmWiki 0.6.9 on my box, simply because I have different uses for the wiki, each of which need multiple groups (etc).

The only way that I would want this however is if the core application had support for it. Considering it takes only a few seconds to upgrade the version, when a new version comes out I just update them all independantly. If having this required me to take more than a few minutes to update the
version, then apart from saving 500kb of server space, I am not sure what benefit it would have.

Richard Canning

-----Original Message-----
From: John Rankin [mailto:john.rankin at affinity.co.nz]
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 11:25 AM
To: PmWiki Users
Cc: Patrick Michaud; Donald Gordon
Subject: [Pmwiki-users] How best to develop a wiki farm

We are starting to make a way to develop a collection of related
wikis (a farm as a collection of fields), all sharing the same
code and core pages, but able to act independently. Some examples
of possible use:
- different and independent parts of the same organisation
- different languages in different wiki fields
- different subject areas, each requiring multiple groups

There is a preliminary specification here: http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Development/WikiFarm

The current idea is that the directory structure might look
like this:
pmwiki/
    pmwiki.php
    scripts/
    wikilib.d/
    pub/
    local/
    wiki.d/    #maybe, maybe not
    uploads/   #maybe, maybe not
    field.a/
        wiki.d/
        pub/
        local/
        uploads/

and so on.

There are some markup issues (referring to a page in another field) And implementation options.

We plan to use the URL to work out which field to visit, eg: http://wiki.lotr.net.nz/ http://wiki.lotr.net.nz/fotr
http://wiki.lotr.net.nz/tt
http://wiki.lotr.net.nz/rotk http://wiki.lotr.net.nz/gollumsushi

If others think this is a good idea, or have suggestions, comments will be very welcome, either on the page or to the list.

--
JR