[Pmwiki-users] Re: [[include: ... ]] part of a page

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue May 4 00:06:14 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, 5 May 2004 3:01 AM, Steven Leite <steven_leite at kitimat.net> wrote:

>At first I had no opinion.  I personally dont' think I would use the
>markup, so
>I thought I will abstain from voting.  Then I got to thinking .. it's
>just one more
>feature.  I don't know if it's fair to classify it as "feature bloat" or
>not .. so I'll
>just voice my "note of caution" about that, and say this:
>
>If the feature is not used by the majority of users, then it should not
>be in the
>core ..  I think it's better left as an add-on.
>
>Just my 2cents.
>
>-S
>

>--

Fair comment. From my point of view:
- we *really* needed the ability to include from the start
  up to an anchor
- I couldn't see how to do it as a sensible local customisation
  so patched pmwiki just for 'start to anchor'
- others have created more advanced patches
- if you do that, it's logical to support from anchor to end,
  from anchor to anchor, and just anchor paragraph
- the other variants are nice, but I'd be equally happy if
  they were omitted

"A model should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."

My experience is that people use a subset of the available
markup, but different people use different subsets. One
person's core feature is another's gratuitous extension.

If someone unfamiliar with the markup edited a page with
the extended include syntax, would this get in the way?
Depends on the person, I guess.

--
JR