[Pmwiki-users] Re: [[include: ... ]] part of a page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed May 5 11:34:13 CDT 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:16:13PM +0100, J. Meijer wrote:

>    ----about include syntax
>    The syntax is now mixing lines and anchors. Formally the syntax should
>    read something like this:
>       [[include:SomePage#soup#(2..)]]   -- everything  but first line in soup
>       [[include:SomePage(5..10)]]         -- lines 5 to 10 from somepage
>       [[include:SomePage]](5..10)         -- lines 5 to 10 from somepage
>    So  the  line-extraction  mechanism  should  not  be  included  in the
>    include, but applied to it in a separate action.

This is is an interesting approach as well.  OTOH, how would one
specify "include everything before #soup"?

How about combining the two, so that #1#100 refers to absolute line numbers
in the page, but (1..100) refers to lines of the section being extracted?

All in all I fear the syntax is getting *way* out of hand relative to
what it was originally supposed to accomplish (include a portion of a page
after an anchor, and include a certain number of lines of a page).  Thus
I'm going to need a consensus from the wider community before I feel I
can commit to any particular syntax or implementation.

>    This  keeps the way open to an ideal world where the include could get
>    user-markup applied to the section extracted. The user could then f.e.
>    emphasize a small section of the included.

Depends on the type of emphasis involved -- I think that markups such as
''[[include:SomePage...]]'' will likely never work because of the
newlines in the included text, nor am I in a hurry to try to make such
constructs work (per PmWikiPhilosophy #3).