[Pmwiki-users] Re: Email Obfuscation Ad-on Development

Steven Leite steven_leite
Sat May 8 22:44:42 CDT 2004

> > Also, I'm particularly concerend with 2 things:
> >
> > 1)  If somebody enters [=mailto:nobody at nowhere.com=] .. then the
add-on
> > should respect the [= .. =] and not try to obfuscate it.
>
> I'd suggest using a separate directive for obfuscated e-mail
addresses...
> e.g. the user enters
>
> [[hide-mailto:chr at home.se]]
>
> and this is converted into an encrypted format
>
> [[hidden-mailto:sdfl?ajsfdljasdf]]
>
> that way the user gets a choice.
>
> /Christian

Funny you should mention that .. [[hidden-mailto:#dfjk34143]] is
precisely the format that I am useing, however, I belive the choice
should be up to the administrator, not the user.  The site admin can
decided whether to use the plug-in or not.

The purpose of the plug-in is to protect email addresses, so I feel that
the "authors/users" should not be required to take further actions to
protect their email address.  It should just happen automatically.

If a user's email address appears in _any_ format
(eg. user at domain.com,
mailto:user at domain.com,
[[mailto:user at domain.com]], or
 [[mailto:user at name.com Text]]),

then the script should obfiscate it (unless some other parameter/option
is specified).  I can always build in some options whereby the script
would leave certain instances alone, (the [[= .. username at domain.com ...
=] for example).

I've nearly got a alpha version of this script working now .. I'm just
fine tuning a few things.  BTW, it uses a small javascript .. so I'm
also looking at alternate methods of obfuscation so that browsers
without javascript will be diverted to an alternate obfuscation method,
but that's just icing.  I think most browser support basic javascript
these days.

-S