[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: pmwiki-url confusion

Christian Ridderström chr
Mon May 10 13:16:55 CDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > Actually, maybe PmWiki could use a set of self-tests working along this
> > line that could be used to test the installation?
>
> That's the line I'm pursuing in the PmWiki installation script.  However,
> I want to avoid calls to external programs (won't work in PHP safemode)
> and not every system has wget (e.g., Windows).

I didn't mean it should use wget either (I didn't know it was as simple as
using an open() to get a web page - seems very convenient :-)

> I'll probably just use PHP's open() command to make the external HTTP
> connection.  However, the setup script has to be a bit smarter than a
> simple wget, since there are any number of reasons why the HTTP GET
> might fail (e.g., ScriptUrl isn't working properly).

Sure... actually, since the script will basically be calling "itself",
there's room for lots of clever things that the script can do here :-)

But for starters I was simply thinking it could try a few alternative URIs
and use the "best" one that works. I guess the script could even
automatically generate a few different 'config.php' and see if they
work... quite cool actually.

/Christian