[Pmwiki-users] Feature-request: deleting revisions

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users
Wed May 19 17:46:53 CDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 08:41:49PM -0600, *** Dave Hill wrote:
> Having (alas) a great deal of experience with blog spammers, even if you throw
> a big message up on the screen saying that spam material is blocked, filtered,
> reviewed, zapped, blacklisted, whatever, or that URLs are being redirected so
> that you can't get any Googlerank benefit, it doesn't make any different.
> Spammers will spam.

I don't think anyone reads the message... I'd guess that they have some
kind of robot there that gets better. Find a site with PmWiki and attach
to the bottom of the sandbox - voila.

> > I'm having similar problems with wikispam on my system, as you
> > may have noticed.  But I figure that the fact that links appear
> > in the page history isn't doing the spammers much good because
> > of the meta tag.  My next approach is going to be to create a
> > "blacklist.php" module so that an admin can identify IP ranges
> > (and possibly domains) from which all posts should be blocked.

I think the meta is a very good idea. I did not think something like
this already was there.

> Blacklisting by IP and IP range is dubious, to be honest.  IP ownership
> changes, and most spammers change IP addresses fairly quickly.  Way too high a
> false positive rate, potentially.  Plus, unless you're going to
> pool/coordinate/manage IP addresses, everyone is going to have to start from
> scratch, which makes a blacklist a lot less useful.

Hm. A distributed Anti-SPAM system for wikisites? :)

     Balu
PS: The idea of hidden entries is great, but I am curious what visitors
will think if 5 revisions of a page are hidden. Looks a little like
censoring.