[Pmwiki-users] Main URI for pmwiki.org

Crisses crisses
Sun May 23 10:28:09 CDT 2004

On May 23, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:

> Hi Patrick
>
> At the moment, a URI such as
>
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org/PmWiki/PmWiki
>
> doesn't work. This is annoying when you go to the main page by
> entering:
>
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org/
>
> because then you can't simply append 'Group/PageName' to the URI in
> order
> to go to a specific page. (You have to click your way there, or first
> click on the PmWiki-logo, or add 'wiki/' to what you append, i.e.
> 'wiki/Group/PageName').

thats how mine works right now  -- with the benefit that if anyone has
outdated pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Group/PageName links to my site it will
automatically bring them to that page, and correct their URL on the
next link they hit ...

(directory structure:
/wiki (a php wrapper script -- right now all it does is call
pmwiki/pmwiki.php)
/pmwiki/ (the actual pmwiki folder; contains all pmwiki files & folders
-- local, pub, wiki.d, wikilib.d, etc.)
/pmwiki/pmwiki.php (the actual pmwiki script -- because of the local
config files, it points people back to ../wiki)

I find the urls are cleanest this way without me simply dropping
pmwiki.php into my web root and renaming it index.php (which makes ugly
URLs also) and without apache acrobatics

> You probably know that I'd prefer being able to use URIs such as
> http://www.pmwiki.org/PmWiki/PmWiki, but if you don't want that, maybe
> you
> could let the URI
>
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org
>
> automatically be redirected to
>
> 	http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/

I tried that once in an .htaccess redirect statement and it created an
infinite loop, as "www.pmwiki.org" (for example) is *always* hit with
"www.pmwiki.org/wiki" ---- it wasn't pretty. *chuckles*.  The way I
have it right now is a DirectoryIndex wiki in the .htaccess --
http://domain/ redirects to http://domain/wiki  but
http://domain/Group/PageName breaks.  And I'm ok with that for my site.
  people who know wiki page names to hand write into their browser
probably also know enough to figure out that it's in the wiki/
"spoofdirectory"

I do not know if Apache2 corrects the loop behavior or not.

Page redirects might do, but I don't think that's what you meant.

Crisses