[Pmwiki-users] A special case of link markup: Image -> Image

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Wed May 26 08:45:54 CDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 02:08:33PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> I was just asked how to make an image that links to another image (e.g.
> you have a small version of the image which when you click on takes you to
> a big version of that image).
>
> The markup looks like this today:
>
>         [[Attach:InstantPreview/aqua-screenshot.png \
>           Attach:InstantPreview/aqua-screenshot-small.png]]
>
> How would this case look like in the new suggested markup?

[[Attach:InstantPreview/aqua-screenshot.png | \
  Attach:InstantPreview/aqua-screenshot-small.png]]

> Would it be possible to supply an alternate text for both images, or is
> that not relevant?

Alternate text is only needed for the image that is actually displayed,
so it's only relevant to the second one.  However, the markup I'm
currently toying with would then be:

[[Attach:InstantPreview/aqua-screenshot.png | \
  Attach:InstantPreview/aqua-screenshot-small.png"aqua screenshot"]]

> Would it make sense to have a directive for the special case of using a
> small image as link "text"? This directive could in principle also be
> responsible for extracting a smaller version of the big image (call ing
> e.g. ImagMagick and cacheing the thumbnail).

I think this might be very useful, but is best left prototyped as
a cookbook extension for a while (which will be greatly simplified if
a new markup is adopted).