PmWikiDraw symbol library was: Re: [Pmwiki-users] PmWikiDraw New version

Knut Alboldt pmwiki
Thu Nov 4 14:11:59 CST 2004

Ciaran wrote:

>5) The Symbol library, I've had a look at this, every shape is
>represented by an object, there is an object that can contain multiple
>shapes, however there's no reasonable way to  take the generated Class
>and get it back as source (technically not true as its all
>serialisable) but we'd be better off create a new class for each one.
>There's a good article on this on JavaWorld (google for JHotDraw and
>JavaWorld) [Please note this is for the latest version of JHotDraw
>which is Java2 based.  This brings me to an interesting point.  I'm
>considering porting the plugin to the very latest version of JHotDraw
>which offers features such as undo/redo, snap to grid, images
>[possibly won't be able to do this straight away would need some
>consideration]   However this latest version is Java2 based.  If
>everyone who requires this plugin where I work has Java2 then I'll be
>happy to do this, otherwise I might have to spend my time doing other
>things.  If this does happen I'd like to  work on some code that can
>run the correct applet depending on the available VM on the machine it
>runs.  Not certain if this can be done with object tags or not, but
>hopefully so.

well, it can be a lot of work implementing that symbol stuff. Another
alternative would be using images if this could be implemented. I will read
the article you've mentioned.

Anyway, this task shouldn't be something to be implemented for the near
future. But it's an interesting point !

Knut