[Pmwiki-users] skins in v1+

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Sat Nov 27 09:26:35 CST 2004

On Fri, Nov 26, 2004 at 06:46:11PM -0500, Matt Simpson wrote:

>    But  as  I  work on it, I'm finding A) pmwiki.org is changing versions
>    and  no longer allowing/supporting information about the collection of
>    skins  that  were  there a few days ago

Sorry about that.  I just haven't had time to migrate the skins over
to the new site yet.  But they still exist at
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook-V1/Skins .

>    B) that a modification of
>    the farm  wiki  skin  doesn't  automatically  render  that skin in the
>    field,

It does in the 2.0 code, but in 1.x you're correct that it doesn't
automatically render it in the field.  However, you can fix that by
setting $PageTemplateFmt in local/farmconfig.php -- this will set the
default skin for all fields.

>    C)  trying  to  point  to  the skin in the config doesn't
>    work...

Don't forget that if you want to reach the farm's skin you usually need
to use $FarmD in any paths and set $FarmPubDirUrl.  Also, most skins in
the cookbook weren't designed with farming in mind, so they tend to use
$PubDirUrl (the field's pub dir) rather than $FarmPubDirUrl (the farm's
pub dir).

Note that all of this is fixed in 2.0, where one can find the correct
skin directory url via $SkinDirUrl, which works for skins both in the farm
and in the fields.

>    Personally,  I  prefer to wait for official releases before installing
>    upgraded versions.

There's nothing wrong with that--I still plan to support both v1 and v2
for the foreseeable future, it's just taking me some time to get everything
back onto the site.

>    Can  anyone clarify what is the method of installing a skin in a field
>    for version 1+?  Is it possible?  Thanks.

It's the same as for a farm -- just copy the skin into the field's pub/skins
directory and set $PageTemplateFmt.  If you want to have a skin shared
among many fields in the farm, you put it in the farm's pub/skins directory
and set $PageTemplateFmt='$FarmD/pub/skins/myskin/myskin.tmpl';  (and make
sure the farm's skin references $FarmPubDirUrl appropriately).