markup quick ref (was: Re: [Pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org converted to 2.0.devel27)

Neil Herber nospam
Tue Nov 30 22:14:40 CST 2004

At 2004-11-30  08:15 PM -0700, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>So, don't feel too constrained by what we can do with existing wiki markup,
>as that can be augmented for a specialized purpose such as this.  If
>someone can come up with something (in HTML) that works well, I can go
>from there to find a way to integrate it into the wiki.  And we can even
>avoid wiki markup entirely-- the edit form is specified in the
>$PageEditFmt variable, and we can really put any HTML we want into that.
>(Although it is nice when the reference pages are themselves wiki pages,
>so I'll be aiming to keep that feature if at all possible.)

Patrick et alia

I bashed together something in HTML and posted it here:

http://www2.eton.ca/pmwiki_cheat_sheet.html

Someone more skilled in CSS can probably make it inherit the skin appearance.

I like this arrangement because it is visually oriented and it allows the
user to grab the sample text and paste it right onto the wiki page. I think
this format is best suited for the more common markups. Special markups
sometimes require a longer explanation than comfortably fits in a small
table. No reason we couldn't have more than one table.

I too would like to be able to create exactly this look using only PmWIki,
but I don't understand enough about the special formatting directives (yet!!).

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668