[Pmwiki-users] password problems

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Oct 1 09:22:10 CDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 10:52:31AM -0400, Russ Fink wrote:

> My site does not allow me to do the normal password authentication.  It
> repeatedly presents the dialog.  What are the possible causes of this?

It can be caused by a number of things, including PHP configuration specifics,
other site password protection mechanisms (e.g., passwords in .htaccess
files).  It's probably just best to switch to sessionauth.php.

> Secondly, I tried using the sessionauth.php script.  It won't seem to work
> unless I define a password in my config.php.  Tell me, what are the steps
> for making this work?

Ummm, what "doesn't work" exactly?  Pages are by default not password-
protected unless a password is set for a page (or group), either in the
page/group attributes or in the config.php file.

> Lastly, I wish to have passwords on groups.  The way to do this is
> MyGroup.GroupAttributes?action=attr.  Now, does a page called
> "MyGroup.GroupAttributes" have to exist, or is this just a phantom
> construct?

When you set the attributes for MyGroup.GroupAttributes, it will be
created if it doesn't already exist.  (It's a wiki page like any other--
it just has special meaning in the context of page authorization.)