[Pmwiki-users] Vote on [:directive:] vs (:directive:) vs other suggestion?

Knut Alboldt mailing
Fri Oct 1 09:29:07 CDT 2004

At 17:16 01.10.2004, you wrote:
>Voting time people!
>
>What do we prefer?
>         [:directive:]
>         (:directive:)

with the german keyboard: I prefer (:directive:)

>         something else?

see below

>On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >
> > I know that [:directive:] is difficult for many keyboards to type, so a
> > strong chorus of support for (:directive:) (or any other single
> > alternative, with few negative votes) would convince me to switch even
> > at this late date.
> >
> > Otherwise I'm pretty sure that [:directive:] is going to be the syntax.
>
>So there you have it... we should speak now or forever hold our tongue.
>(See other post for possible workarounds involving multiple syntaxes,
>and/or automatic syntax conversion during save).

As I stated before in some other postings: an alternative way would be an
edit-postprossessing to change entered "(: :)" to "[: :]"  (just typing
that sentence I can see the advantage of (::)   :-) This would make it
possible to use both. And Pm said, that this is simple to implement in v2.
So I would be happy with this third solution as well.

>One possible drawback with using (:directive:) is that might look like a
>bunch of smileys around the directives.

that makes the text more friendly, happy tagging :-)

Knut