[Pmwiki-users] Re: AsSpaced function (was pmwiki-2.0.devel9 released)

chr@home.se chr
Sat Oct 2 05:20:53 CDT 2004

On 2 Oct 2004, John Rankin wrote:

> I find abbreviations with a lower case letter are a common problem,
> like CoP or SOEs or BSc:

Slightly related.. what's the plural of an acronym? For instance, let's
say we write CCD for 'charge coupled device' as in:

	The CCD in my camera has 3.3 million photo sensitive elements.

When using the acronym in a plural sence, I think I should be writing
something like:

	The CCDs have become much cheaper lately.

but because this is interpreted by PmWiki as a wiki word, I find myself
writing something like this instead:

	The CCD:s have become much cheaper lately.

Maybe '[:upper:]+s' shouldn't be interpreted as a wiki word?

> but I am increasingly coming round to Ilya's view:
>
>   "As for me, I like the MediaWiki approach: no WikiWords at all"

Same here basically... WikiWords seems to cause more problems than they
are worth.

What about inverting the defaults? Instead of trying to exclude certain
words from being interpreted as WikiWords, maybe we should come up with an
easy way to let administrators and/or users specify what words or patterns
that should be interpreted as WikiWords/links?

Another alternative might be to only interpret WikiWord as a link if the
corresponding page 'WikiWord' already exists? (Instead of turning it into
a 'create page link').

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr