[Pmwiki-users] Re: Categories instead of hierarchies? (was: can pmwiki handle hierarchical content?)

chr@home.se chr
Wed Oct 20 12:52:05 CDT 2004

On 20 Oct 2004, John Rankin wrote:

> I seem to remember someone a while ago (Bronwyn perhaps?) asking about
> the ability to assign pages to categories. If I understand Christian
> correctly, this is akin to his 'a page can belong to multiple groups'
> concept.

It is similar, and some wikis have "categories". (MoinMoin?)

> I wonder if the ability to assign pages to categories would be another
> way of approaching the problem of how to organise pages in a flexible
> way. It seems to me that recategorising is perhaps simpler than
> restructuring.

Unfortunately it doesn't fix a cluttered namespace.

> If anybody thinks this is worth exploring, I'm happy to write up a
> page on how it might work.

I think we want categories regardless if we allow a hierarchy or not, so
please do a "write up".

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr