[Pmwiki-users] Re: Page tree with minimal syntax -- some problems

chr@home.se chr
Wed Oct 20 13:05:39 CDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 chr at home.se wrote:

> > Let's suppose I have a set of pages that collectively describe PmWiki,
> > such as documentation, FAQs, etc.  Clearly they belong in a common
> > group, such as "PmWiki", thus I have PmWiki.DocumentationIndex,
> > PmWiki.Installation, etc. I also need a page to serve as the "entry
> > page" to the group, to describe PmWiki itself.

> However, if we use a page tree we will have this structure:
> 	PmWiki		  (the entry page, now at the root level)
> 	  |-- DocumentationIndex
> 	  |-- FAQs
> 	  '-- Installation

> !!Referring to child pages
>
> When referring to a child page, you need to prepend the link with the name
> of the current page. For instance, in order to refer to /PmWiki/FAQs from
> /PmWiki, you have to write the link as [[PmWiki/FAQs]].

We could make this easier by allowing [[./FAQs]] to mean that we are
referring to a child page.

> Since the entry page is likely to refer to a lot of it's child pages, this
> will get annyoing.

At least it is less annoying to write './' compared to the full name.

> Furthermore, if we decide to rename this page from
> /PmWiki to /PmWiki2, each link needs to be edited.

This is not a problem when you write [[./FAQs]]

> Note: If the use of '/' no longer hides the corresponding link components,
> [[PmWiki/FAQs]] would be rendered as "PmWiki/FAQs" instead of "FAQs". The
> workaround would be to write the link as [[(PmWiki/)FAQs]].

Might make sense to have [[./FAQs]] automatically render as "FAQs", if
that is what we most often want.

> !!Referring to the parent page
>
> A lot of the documentation pages will want to refer to the parent page.
> However, using only the link syntax described so far this can only be done
> with an absolute link, i.e. [[/PmWiki]]

We could introduce a syntax like [[../PmWiki]] that would let us refer
to the parent using a relative path.

> Note: To have the link render with the "/", it might have to be written as
> 	[[(/)PmWiki]].

Perhaps [[../PmWiki]] should automatically be rendered simply as "PmWiki"?

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr