[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Re: Why heirarchy?

chr@home.se chr
Wed Oct 20 14:10:27 CDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 11:42:03PM +0200, chr at home.se wrote:
> > > In an early version of PmWiki2-devel I had it configured so that
> > > slashes in the group name were simply ignored... i.e., one could write
> > >     http://mysite/Multimedia/Sound/OSS/SomePage
> > > and PmWiki silently converted it to "MultimediaSoundOSS.SomePage".
> >
> > This sounds pretty good to me, although I don't think you should silently
> > remove the '.'. I *want* a logical separator between the words.
> >
> > Maybe it wouldn't be confusing without the silent conversion?
>
> It becomes a bit more confusing when dealing with GroupAttributes and
> passwords.  Right now, Linux.GroupAttributes wouldn't have an impact
> on LinuxUsers.SomePage.  But one would likely expect that
> Linux.GroupAttributes *should* impact Linux.Users.SomePage.

I'd say that's actually an argument for using hierarchies... if we
implemented this using the two groups

	Linux/
	  GroupAttributes
	LinuxUsers/
	  SomePage

where I am, structurally speaking, aiming for the hierarchy:
	Linux
	  Users
	    SomePage

I still *want* Linux.GroupAttributes to have an impact on LinuxUsers/.

(This has actually been a bit of a nuisance with wiki.lyx.org, i.e. I
manually have to duplicate/create pages like GroupAttributes in all the
groups. And when I change one, I need to change all to have a consistent
look :-(

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr