[Pmwiki-users] Re: Page tree with minimal syntax -- some problems

chr@home.se chr
Thu Oct 21 11:01:55 CDT 2004

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> > Here is another idea which allows pages to refer to their parent without
> > any special markup. Simply forbid child pages to be created with the same
> > name as the parent page.
>
> Would this generalize?  I.e., we forbid child pages to be created with the
> same name as any ancestor?  Could someone have/want PmWiki.Lists.PmWiki?

> > Question: Can anyone come up with a case where you think you want to have
> > a child page with the same name as the parent? Or in other words, is this
> > a serious limitation?
>
> Only in that it completely mucks up PmWiki's existing pages.

Hmm... I can't see that it mucks up things that much. We would need a
script that replaces a page like /PmWiki/PmWiki with /PmWiki, and
similarly replaces [[PmWiki.PmWiki]] with [[/PmWiki]]. Is that the "muck"
you're talking about?

> How about a slight modification...instead of "forbidding" pages as you
> described above, what if we just say that any repeated name in a path is
> automatically removed, so that a page target of PmWiki.PmWiki
> automatically (and silently?) reduces to a single "PmWiki"?

Ok... so [[<parent>/<parent>]] would always be interpreted as simply
simply [[/<parent>]]? Or do you mean as [[<parent>]]?

I think it would work, but in the long run it seems much clearer to also
do the replacement. What should happen in this situation (that doesn't
exist in PmWiki 1/2), where the current page is /WikiEngines/PmWiki/Markup
and it contains [[PmWiki/PmWiki]]?

According to the minimal syntax I defined, this should refer to
/WikiEngines/PmWiki/PmWiki which is page that shouldn't exist. With the
translation, it would refer to /PmWiki or /WikiEngines/PmWiki/Markup. It's
not obvious to me what you want here.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr