[Pmwiki-users] Re: any conclusion on catagories ?

chr@home.se chr
Sat Oct 23 05:13:01 CDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> So, what do we get?  Every page belonging to Category.XYZ has a link
> to Category.XYZ, and following that link automatically displays a list
> of all pages in the XYZ category.

Just a minor point... does the page Category.XYZ belong to the category?
Should a page in the group Category also have a link to itself?

> Finally, in Category.Genre and Category.Year we can put [[Category/Category]],
> which makes them "top-level" categories reachable from the Category.Category
> page.  Voila, we now have an instant "hierarchy":
>
>    Category.Category
>        Category.Genre
>            Category.Comedy
>                Film.SeanOfTheDead
>            Category.Drama
>                Film.InMyFathersDen
>            Category.Documentary
>                Film.TheCorporation
>            Category.Horror
>                Film.SeanOfTheDead
>        Category.Year
>            Category.2003
>                Film.SeanOfTheDead
>                Film.TheCorporation
>            Category.2004
>                Film.InMyFathersDen

How could we use this hiearchy to automatically generate navigation links?

The generation of "parent links" is already done since the page
already contains [[Category/Comedy]], [[Category/Horror]] and [[Category/2003]].

But how can we make the sidebar automatically contain a list of siblings?
(Or something equivalent to a wiki trail, but we don't manually maintain
the list of trail pages, it is derived from the category).

Maybe it would be nice to get several wiki trails? One for each category
that the current page belongs to?

> And all of this works "out of the box" without any modifications to
> PmWiki 2.0!  John goes a step further and proposes that we create
> a special markup for "Category", so that one can write things
> like [[!/Comedy]] and [[!/Genre]] instead of the longer [[Category/Comedy]]
> and [[Category/Genre]], but at the moment I'm leaving this as
> a (one-line!) local customization until it's widely adopted or we
> have a good standard markup for it.

I think I'd actually prefer making it more explicit, using a directive
like (:Category Comedy:) because it is really *more* than a link to a
category page.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr