[Pmwiki-users] Re: Drop-Down Menu from ALA won't work

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Mon Oct 25 12:13:24 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 01:41:04PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> >Also, has anyone tried out the Suckerfish dropdowns
> >(http://www.alistapart.com/articles/dropdowns)? Maybe those will work
> >better.
>
> I'm keenly awaiting XHTML 2's navigation list <nl> element. See
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xhtml2-20040722/mod-list.html#edef_list_nl
> Then we just have to wait for browsers to catch up.
>
> In the mean time, perhaps a wiki markup that is ready for <nl>
> might be worth thinking about.

My experience is that the natural mechanism for creating navigation
menus of any sort is to use WikiTrails.  Niall Durham's Trail2Menu
script (PmWiki 1) first showed the possibilities of what could be done;
I'm planning to integrate this directly into PmWiki with
(:pagelist trail=SomeTrail fmt=menu:).  Building a suckerfish dropdown
menu should be equally possible, and upon the glorious day that
browsers start to support <nl>, it's no problem to create a "fmt=nl"
to generate it.

And, dare I say it, during the browser transition period "fmt=nl" could
even be made smart enough to generate <nl> versus some other HTML
structure depending on the browser type.  :-)