[Pmwiki-users] Categories instead of hierarchies?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Mon Oct 25 15:37:50 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 10:21:46AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> Time for a summary. Here's where I think we have reached.
>
> 1. categories are useful and cool

Indeed.

> 4. do we want a special markup for categories?

Yes.

> 5. if so the choices are:
>
>  a) a directive keyword, such as (:category XYZ:)

ick.

>  b) a shortcut character (cf [[~Pm]]), such as [[!XYZ]]

I like it.  Though ! bothers me for some reason I can't quite explain.
Here are some alternatives (in order of preference):

[[&XYZ]]
[[^XYZ]]
[[*XYZ]]

>  c) an inline markup (cf <<|TrailPage|>>), such as
>    <<!XYZ!>>

I'm ambivalent on this one.

> 6. if we have a special markup, it should allow an
>    administrator to specify a common style for all
>    category links, such as <span class='wikicategory'>

Yep.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff