[Pmwiki-users] Categories instead of hierarchies?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Mon Oct 25 23:26:26 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 04:35:28PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 October 2004 2:55 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> >> 5. if so the choices are:
> >>  a) a directive keyword, such as (:category XYZ:)
> >>  b) a shortcut character (cf [[~Pm]]), such as [[!XYZ]]
> >>  c) an inline markup (cf <<|TrailPage|>>), such as
> >>    <<!XYZ!>>
> >
> >Of course, these choices aren't entirely mutually exclusive.  My
> >personal preference is something along the lines of [[!XYZ]],
> >as long as we recognize that this also implies that every page
> >in a category therefore has a link to that category's page.
>
> I agree totally that [[ ... ]] is always a link.

Indeed, anything else would spoil good consistency.

> I still think I like [[!XYZ]], for a subject heading,
> using 'like' in the sense of can't think of a clearly
> superior alternative or a better meaning for [[!XYZ]]
> markup.

That's kind of what bothers me about !  I'm reminded of "headings"
which is completely orthogonal to "categories".  I guess I'm wary
of conceptual conflation.

Other alternative syntax (no preferences here; fire at will):

	[[|XYZ]]	Categories are like sets and | reminds me of sets
	[[:XYZ]]	since we have (::) now, why not?  :-)
	[[>XYZ]]	I think Patrick already mentioned this one
	[[/XYZ]]
	[[\XYZ]]
	[[+XYZ]]	Another set-ish thing.
	[[-XYZ]]
	[[=XYZ]]	Reminds me of mailboxes in mutt

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com