[Pmwiki-users] skins

Nathan Jones pmwiki
Tue Oct 26 05:11:27 CDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 07:06:12AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>Well, PmWiki 2 no longer uses a stdlayout.css, so all of the standard skin
>stuff is indeed local to the skin directory.  (pub/css is still used for
>local.css, $Group.css, $Group.$Name.css, but I'm not sure what will
>happen there.)

I'd love to see local.css, $Group.css and $Group.$Name.css stay, but it
doesn't really matter whether they are in pub/css or pub/skins/blah.

>> Hmm. Is it feasible to have an equivalent of what happens with wiki.d and
>> wikilib.d?
>
>I haven't been able to come up with a good way to do it.

They only approach I can think of feels clumsy:

- Put the files that are currently in pub/skins/pmwiki/ somewhere else,
  like wikilib.d/ or scripts/ (yeah, I know - they don't feel right).
- When PmWiki runs, have it check to see if they exist in
  pub/skins/pmwiki/
- If they don't, copy them there.

Problems include the overhead of checking file existence, thought I guess
this only needs to be checked if the pmwiki skin is in use.

>Some find it comforting to see the template name explicitly in the
>configuration variable.

BTW, is there still a $PageTemplateFmt in devel16? If so, how does it
work? Set to pub/skins/$PageSkinFmt/screen.tmpl? Can be overridden in
config.php?

>One, thanks for posting the draft directly into the documentation -- it's
>easy to edit things there.  The fact that the basic steps are "too big
>to post here" may indicate that they're too lengthy in general.  I think
>we might want to factor the basic steps for file uploading into a separate
>page.

A good idea, and a better way to cater for multiple skill levels.
LayoutBasics can say:

# Make a copy of pub/skins/pmwiki and call it pub/skins/''myskin''
# Modify the template to your liking.
# Set $PageSkinFmt = 'myskin'; in config.php

Not sure how to make a copy of the pub/skins/pmwiki directory? See _____
for more detailed help.

--
Nathan Jones