[Pmwiki-users] What is a WikiGroup? (Was: Why heirarchy?)

chr@home.se chr
Tue Oct 26 15:56:19 CDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> *sigh*  PmWiki doesn't have and has never had a "hierarchy", much less
> a limited one.  (Unless you're counting a single level of groups+pages
> a 'hierarchy'.)

Well... at least it's different from having all pages in a single "group"
;-)

> As I painfully discovered while trying to prototype an implementation of
> Christian's proposed hierarchical syntax over the weekend, WikiGroups
> are *not* just simple subsets of hierarchies or a one-level
> hierarchy...they're in fact a different structure.

I'd be interested in hearing more about that. Thinking a bit on it a few
days ago I thought that WikiGroups was a way to -- well -- group pages
together into one namespace. However, it is also a grouping in the sense
that GroupHeader etc by default applies to that group of pages.

Here's a beginning of a list of things that WikiGroups imply for pages
in the group:
* Single namespace for pages in the group, easy to refer to other pages
  in the same group.
* Common GroupFooter, GroupHeader for pages in the group
* Let's you use <Group>.php for customization for pages in the group
* By default, uploaded attachments are stored 'per group'
I'm sure there is more, but it's getting late...

/Christian

PS. The list above will probably later on make a nice start for
documenting what a WikiGroup is, and what it can do.

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr