[Pmwiki-users] Subject heading? (Was Categories instead of hierarchies?)

John Rankin john.rankin
Tue Oct 26 18:57:06 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, 27 October 2004 11:34 AM, chr at home.se wrote:
>On 26 Oct 2004, John Rankin wrote:
>
>> I still think I like [[!XYZ]], for a subject heading,
>
>WTH is a 'subject heading'?

Subject Headings - Terms, names, or phrases that are assigned to a publication (book, journal article, video, etc.) and used to describe the contents of that publication. They form a standardized set of terms that are consistently used to group materials together.

See for example
http://www.hencc.kctcs.net/library/LCSH.htm
http://www.lib.iastate.edu/commons/resources/lcsh/
http://www.bisg.org/publications/bisac_subj_faq.html

I note that one convention for showing a hierarchy of
subject headings appears to be with a '/' as in:

Heading - the English language description attached to each code, i.e. the subject heading itself. The heading description is constructed in two, three, or four parts, with each part (or level) separated by a forward slash (/). A two-part heading would consist of the section name (e.g., HISTORY) and a subheading presenting a major aspect of the section, such as "Medieval". Such a term would read "HISTORY / Medieval". Many headings consist of only two levels; however, for more detail in some subject areas, a third level is added. An example of such a term is "HISTORY / Military / Vietnam War". Occasionally four levels are used, e.g., "HISTORY / Africa / South / South Africa".

So (sigh) perhaps we need to reconsider [[/Category]].

--
JR