[Pmwiki-users] Category implementation

John Rankin john.rankin
Thu Oct 28 15:04:47 CDT 2004

On Friday, 29 October 2004 8:06 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>I agree that it makes sense to distinguish category links, I'm not
>sure that the ! is a gentle, non-intrusive way of doing it (especially
>for new/non-authors).  When I tried it myself I wasn't that impressed
>with seeing
>
>    Category: !2004, !Horror, !Film
>
>in my page output.  I felt that
>
>    Category: 2004, Horror, Film
>
>reads much better.  By analogy, author links display as "Pm" and not "~Pm".
>Plus, the programmer in me kept seeing the bare !'s as meaning the page
>did *not* belong to 2004, Horror, or Film. :-)

I *knew* you were going to say that!

>So, I agree fully that it's good to visually distinguish the category
>links (which is why I sent my message), but using '!' doesn't feel like
>the right answer.

Perhaps one answer is a manual one (avoid gratuitous features principle):

Suggest that people enter categories by writing Category: at the start
of the line.

A minor feature extension might offer C: start of line markup that
translates into [[Category/Category]]: (no !)

It does seem natural that one would write 'Category:' followed
by a list of categories. And this lazy typist might prefer to
type 'C:'

--
JR