[Pmwiki-users] Skins, revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Oct 29 22:28:17 CDT 2004

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 01:24:47AM +0200, Knut Alboldt wrote:
> At 22:09 29.10.2004, you wrote:
> >$PageSkinFmt can be any of the following:
> 1.  - the name of a directory in pub/skins/ containing a screen.tmpl
>     template
> 2.  - the name of a template file relative to pub/skins/
> 3.  - the name of a template file relative to the current directory (acts
>       the same as $PageTemplateFmt in 1.x).
>
> I guess with "pub/skins" you mean "$pmwikidirpub/skins" and not the current
> one.

No, the current one (which is also normally the one containing pmwiki.php,
except for wikifarms).

> How do you distingish if it's 2 or 3 ? Is it the sequence of dirs above the
> sequence the skin is searched ?

Yup.  Plus, presumably it would only appear in one place or the other, not
both.

> again: if myskin/screen.tmpl isn't  found in 1. will it be searched in 3.
> (currentdir/myskin/screen.tmpl) ?

Yes.  #3 is really just a convenience to keep $PageTemplateFmt working
for backwards compatibility.

> >Also, there's a bonus for people doing WikiFarms:  $PageSkinFmt looks in
> >both the farm's and field's pub/skins/ directories for the template file,
> >and sets $SkinDirUrl accordingly.
>
> even better ! which sequence: first farm then field or vice versa ?

First field, then farm, since fields are generally considered "more
customizable".  A farm administrator would have the ability to change
the sequence in the farmconfig.php file.

> in docs the definition of pub/skins should made be very clear (as I wrote
> before I guess it's in the pmwiki-installation dir ?)

Yup, the docs need updating to reflect this new approach.