[Pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Partial pagenames in URLs

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis
Fri Sep 17 14:49:53 CDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:05:15 -0600, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> Main.PageNotFound would be returned when a user enters a partial
> pagename in a
> URL that identifies an existing group with pages in it, but there's
> no home page for the group.  Main.GroupNotFound would be when a user
> enters a partial pagename in a URL and there's no group by that name
> (no pages in that group).
>
> But as I think about it now, I can't really see how the text would be
> substantially different between the two.  Maybe it's just too late and
> I'm too tired.  :-)

I think some of the confusion is because we're not getting the use cases
right.  I see three use cases:

1. the page specified doesn't exist, but the group exists. (This currently
produces "Describe _______? here.")
2. the group specified exists and has other pages, but doesn't have a
homepage yet.
3. the group doesn't exist yet at all, so it needs its homepage to be
created.

In all cases, we need to ask, "were you looking for something else, or
would you like to create the page?".  The difference is in whether the
user is creating just *a* page or the group homepage.

Pm's put cases 1 and 2 under PageNotFound, and case 3 under
GroupNotFound.  But going by what kind of page will be created, case 1
should be PageNotFound, but cases 2 and 3 should be GroupNotFound.  Then
having different text will make sense.  Here's some possible text:

Case 1:
The page _______ doesn't exist.
Would you like to create ________?
(Offer other options here)