[Pmwiki-users] v2 advanced tables direction

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Sep 28 23:11:35 CDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 03:45:40PM -0700, Fred Chittenden wrote:
> Blogging is high on my list.
> Also, I'd update in a moment if there were some procedure to select
> page/section background (color and/or tiled picture) when editing a new
> page (as a . The template solutions that is uploaded doesn't do it for me.
> [...] The lack of such an easy to use
> feature keeps me from using pmwiki in all of the situations I might
> otherwise find it very useful.

Oh.  What markup would you like for this?  Maybe [:page-background:] ?

> Ideally, future updates won't require wiki syntax changes.

Oh, I agree with you entirely.  As many who have been using PmWiki can
attest, is the first major markup change in PmWiki's history (3 years)
that isn't backwards-compatible.  And I was very reluctant to do it--
I even considered not writing PmWiki 2 at all because of it--but I
decided it was really necessary to go forward.  That said--

> That way one
> could upload and test a new pmwiki version in different folders without
> changing functionality of what one currently has working.  Then when it all
> works, it's a simple change of file names and locations to complete the
> update process.

You can already do this, even with the markup changes.  The upgrade
module I've put together allows you to test your existing site using
the 2.0 version of the software without touching your existing 1.0
installation.  I need to put together some instructions for this, and
release the code, but the intent is that you can be testing your existing
site with 2.0 while leaving the 1.x site fully functional.