[pmwiki-users] wysiwyg editor

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Apr 6 12:45:51 CDT 2005

Nils Knappmeier wrote:
> maybe someone is interested in this: http://www.fckeditor.net It's an
> JavaScript-Wysiwyg-HTML-Editor. Maybe we can adapt it to PmWiki...

I have taken a look at the WWW site, with the exactly same question in
my mind.
What I found was a community that's geared towards HTML and not much
else. (This isn't a bad thing in itself; it just means we'd be on our own.)
I haven't looked into the sources; having no community support for such
a large project deterred me. (It's not going to be small: we'd have to
rip out the parser and replace it with the PmWiki parser, we'd have to
do markup generation, and we'd have to redesign the UI to show the
buttons needed for a wiki web, not those needed for HTML. There wouldn't
be much left of the original code, I fear...)

This all said, it might still be worth the effort to take a deeper look.
Maybe FCKEdit has a code structure that's as clean as that of PmWiki.
Maybe we can glean off some neat tricks to write our own WYSIWYG editor.

Regards,
Jo