[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 7 07:48:54 CDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:18:58AM +0100, Hans wrote:
> Re: $ActionLinksFmt and special SkinAction functions
> for achieving design changes.
>
> Just a personal comment:
> This looks interesting but rather esoteric to me, i.e. too
> complicated, simply because I only have rudimentary knowledge of php
> and no clue about regex matching etc. As skin designer I am used to
> work with css and html, so that would be my preferred choices to
> deliver content and "look". If I need to use functions employing regex
> matches etc I am at the mercy of the regex engineers and simply need to
> copy their pearls.

In the version I proposed, as a skin designer you don't *have* to
know anything about regexes in order to make it work -- i.e.,
you can just do:

    $ActionLinksFmt

and you get the administrator's preferred set of actions, formatted
as an unordered list that can be easily styled using css.  This is
the "simple" form.  But if (as a skin designer) you want something
other than an unordered list, you at least have the option of using
regexes to get there.

(The same is true whether we store the actions in $ActionLinksFmt
or in a separate wiki page.)