[pmwiki-users] Re:Changing charset from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 7 19:05:34 CDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 09:31:02AM +1000, Algis Kabaila wrote:

> I have a similar, problem with a much smaller volume of files - conversion
> from Lithuanian iso-8859-13 to utf-8 on my HAN (Home Area Network).  I plan
> to write a small Python script for convertion of Lithuanian diacriticals in
> iso-8859-13 to map into utf-8.  The processing would be on a file with the
> results written to another file with a slightly modified name.

Just so you know, PHP often comes with the "iconv" library
configured that can handle conversions among differing
character sets.  See http://www.php.net/iconv

For example, in PHP one can do

    $converted_string = iconv("ISO-8859-13", "UTF-8", $str);

which will take a string encoded in ISO-8859-13 and convert it to utf-8.

PmWiki would use iconv for a lot of its processing, but not all PHP
installations have iconv available.