[pmwiki-users] Feature request: Action lists in skins

Hans design at flutesong.net
Fri Apr 8 09:42:11 CDT 2005

Friday, April 8, 2005, 3:30:42 PM, Patrick wrote:
> In particular, consider something like ?action=pdf for generating a
> PDF version of a page.  Clearly it makes sense for the action to appear
> somewhere in the page, but it'd be wrong to say that the ?action=pdf
> code therefore belongs in the skin package.

I agree. But it does not make sense if an ?action=pdf link would be
supplied by the skin when the pdf package needs to be installed first.
What good is it to have links to possible features, which are not
installed. The skin should be content to provide standard actions
which are part of the default pmwiki installation, plus perhaps any
special actions if they are provided by the skin. But this last case
is debatable because it may be the skin is taking on functions which
may be better served through a skin-independent script, dividing
functions from design. Still this is a fluid boundary.

> My current plan:

> PmWiki's default authorization functions are being modified so that
> the page structure also contains the current authorizations based on
> the user's credentials at the time of access.  Thus, one will be
> able to do things like

This sounds great, exactly what I am waiting for!

Best,
~Hans