[pmwiki-users] PITS 00417 WikiGroup Mirroring

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Sun Apr 10 03:50:02 CDT 2005

A great thing to have, of course. But problematic.

Having a bit of experience with automatic synchronization tools, I would
not set my wiki to be automatically synched. It goes against your best pro
argument: the separation of development and production. And mirroring for
backup purposes seems a bit resource-intensive. Why not use
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BackupPages

Not to talk about the sync problems you may get into is people start
modifying different mirrors at the same time :) Even if using DNS tricks to
hide the fall of one server, the dns network is slower to update than just
restoring a new backup copy somewhere else and alerting the users by email.
I know - I had to do it couple of weeks ago :)

That being said you could write a shell ftp script on the platform you're
working with (I know ways for Dos, Win, older MacOSes and Unix) to use a
text document to batch-ftp a set of pages.

Why would this be part of pmwiki itself?
It could go as an Administration recipe in the Backup set of recipes.

just how ic ;)