[pmwiki-users] questions about user authentication

Nathan Jones pmwiki at optimo.com.au
Tue Apr 12 19:55:17 CDT 2005

Pm wrote:
>Q1: What sort of interface do you want/need for adding user identifiers
>and passwords into the system?

In my case, the site I have in mind is for a community theatre company.
I just want to give logins to a very small group of editors, so something
that is maintained by me is sufficient.

It a large community driven site were using PmWiki, I expect a more
advanced system would be needed, with some of these things:

* Authors can "sign up" and set their own passwords.
* Admins can place authors in groups.
* Admins can allow particular authors and/or groups to edit particular
  pages and or groups.

>Q4: Is anyone interested in being able to authenticate against
>standard ".htpasswd" files?  (If so, would you need an interface to
>create/maintain such files...?)

For my site, I'd be happy to use .htpasswd files and create/maintain
them manually.

For a large site, I expect there would be a need for web-based
maintenance of user/password pairs, but I doubt it would matter (for most
admins) whether auth data were stored in .htpasswd, or in Profiles/Author
or some other place.

>Q5: How soon would you likely start to use or implement user
>authorization on your site(s) once these features are available?

No rush. I'll be keeping the wiki open to start with, but will want the
ability to add access controls if any problems arise.

--
Nathan Jones