[pmwiki-users] back to teasers :)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 15 08:50:52 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 08:48:48AM -0400, Radu wrote:
>
>> Ah, yes, the long teaser debate. [...]
>>
>> Example:
>> (:pagelist group=Machine fmt=include section=#Net chars=50:)
>>
>> would display:
>>
>> :pagename1:<first 50 chars in section #Net on pagename1>
>> :pagename2:<first 50 chars in section #Net on pagename2>
>
> Would those characters be treated as markup?  I'm guessing "yes"
> from your example display output, but...
>
>    - what if the first 50 chars contain a '[=' but not the closing '=]' ?
>    - what if the 50th character is a backslash?
>    - what if the first 50 chars contain newlines?
>
> If the characters aren't treated as markup, do we make any attempt
> to remove the markup from the extracted chars, or just leave it 'as-is'?

 From an end user perspective, the teaser should display the first N
characters after markup.
In other words, PmWiki should render the page, look at the resulting
HTML, and retrieve the first N characters of the HTML display.

Not easy to do, not easy to optimise. (Though optimisation can be made
an afterthought - i.e. wait until somebody really need it.)

Maybe it would be easier to use one of the existing search engines, let
them index the rendered wiki pages (possibly with an engine-friendly
skin so that the teasers don't all start with the action list and side
bar). Then let PmWiki display the results of the query.

Regards,
Jo