search engine beware! Was: Re: [pmwiki-users] notice of current edit

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Apr 15 09:26:53 CDT 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 04:03:43PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> To prevent robots from accidentally saving pages, made sure that the
> edit pages all have a noindex,nofollow set on the appropriate meta tag.

PmWiki already does this.

> Here's a feature request: if a user turns out to be a spammer, have a
> function that undoes all his edits and elides them from the page
> history, too.

Truly eliding things from the page history is a little tricky, as it
requires rebuilding the intermediate diffs to preserve the edit chain.
Plus, what to do when an author edits a spammed page but doesn't notice
the spam?  Undoing the spammer's edit while retaining the author's
subsequent edit is definitely more than I want to deal with.
I suppose the function could simply report back with "I can't
undo the edits on these pages...", but it still seems like a fair
bit of work.

> Also, make the history pages have noindex,nofollow

PmWiki already does this.  In fact, PmWiki already puts noindex,nofollow
on everything except ?action=browse.