[pmwiki-users] conditional (:if enabled ...:)

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Sat Apr 16 12:43:37 CDT 2005

At 12:46 PM 4/16/2005, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>Radu wrote:
>
>>Great solution. I doubt it depends on how many people like it, Hans.
>>A typecast might even be cheaper than a conditional :)
>
>Either way, the cost of execution is dwarfed by the cost of parsing the
>PHP in the first place.

I thought the zend engine does that last part pretty well. Which was one of
the reasons why some time ago I started using php rather than perl.

>Priority list: 1. make it work, 2. make it fast enough, 3. next project.

Great list (though speed is not the only issue in optimizing code). But
when you compare existing alternative solutions to the same problem,
there's nothing wrong with picking the cheapest: you're already in phase 2.
However, that list suggests that optimization needs to happen only as a
discrete step at the end of the development process. In my experience, that
tends to change the design, so I'm always trying to ask as I develop "how
costly this is". The fact that I don't explore the issue exhaustively does
not keep me from doing it :) Pm is even more resource-conscious than I am.

I chose pmwiki for its great community feedback, ease of install AND lean
design and framework.

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)