[pmwiki-users] Still troubles with UTF-8 characters in WikiLinks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Apr 20 11:02:52 CDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 05:28:22PM +0200, Stephan Schildberg wrote:
> >Probably.  PHP needs to be compiled with --enable-mbstring in order
> >for it to work.  You can check ?action=phpinfo to see if your PHP
> >has been compiled with mbstring support.
>
> It says:
> Multibyte (Japanese) Support enabled

Oops, I was wrong.  Turns out that mb_strtoupper() didn't exist
until PHP 4.3.0.  Your site appears to be running PHP 4.1.2.

Either way, it looks like I'll have to come up with a way to
handle UTF-8 links for sites that don't have mb_strtoupper()
available.  But, without this it does make things nasty in that
PmWiki won't be able to recognize [[école]] and [[École]] as
being links to the same page.  Although I suppose we could implement
our own UTF-8 lowercase-to-uppercase conversion tables for this
rather than relying on mb_strtoupper.  I guess that's the way we'll
probably head.