[pmwiki-users] Slight problem with wiki trails

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Apr 20 11:58:30 CDT 2005

Hi all,

I just noted an infelicity about how wiki trails are currently delimited.

Take a look at http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CompareFormsRecipes . It
has a bullet list for the recipes that it compares, and another bullet
list for contributors (well, I have just removed the bullets to fix the
problem, but let's pretend the bullets are still there).

Now those pages that use CompareFormsRecipes use the WikiTrail markup,
the two bullet lists will be merged into one list, so that the full
trail reads

WikiForms <-> BuildForms <-> FormGuideSystem <-> jr <-> Radu <->
JoachimDurchholz

which, obviously, is not what we want.

I'm not sure what's the best way to handle this. The options that I see are:

1) Invent a (:trail:)...(:trailend:) markup that should go around the
part of the page that should be used as a trail. (This could also
incorporate an attribute to make the bullet list invisible. Though
that's not really necessary if it's doable using %...% CSS styles - I
haven't checked that though; I suspect that %...% won't work well since
it isn't a block markup, so we might get a bullet list of empty entries,
creating spurious spaces.)
Problem: this would break all trails. (But PmWiki is a beta, so maybe
occasionally breaking things would be OK?)

2) Use only the first bullet list for the trail.
Problem: this would break the Cookbook trail in PmWiki.

3) Ignore the problem.

4) Well, maybe I simply overlooked some simple markup that would solve
the problem. This wouldn't be the first time ;-)

Regards,
Jo