[pmwiki-users] Two lists: (Was: Solution converting ISO)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Apr 20 13:30:22 CDT 2005

At 2005-04-18  03:04 PM +0200, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
>I'm in favor of splitting the lists..  perhaps like this:
>
>* pmwiki-users: For authors and "normal" wiki administrators
>* pmwiki-devel: For cookbook creators and advanced wiki administration

I have subscribed to many lists that ran into the "problem" of having
newbie questions and development issues discussed side by side. I think it
actually works best when the two are mixed because the newbie questions
keep the developers grounded in what is really important to make the
product usable, while the advanced discussion gives newbies a hint of the
power behind the deceptively simple product exterior.

Even as a newbie, I want to be able to request new features and monitor
their progress through the development "chain". I seem to vaguely recall
that there was a PmWiki feature that I requested, which soon morphed into
something quite a bit bigger, for which I later withdrew my feature request
because there was a simpler way of accomplishing my goal.

I also suspect that the development discussions are overwhelming the newbie
requests right now because we are getting so close to a final release and
lots of details are being ironed out. I use a quick visual filter to decide
on what threads to follow - as soon as I see something like "
SDV\\[[Markup>>..++**//" I know it is a subject beyond my grasp. ;-)

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668