[pmwiki-users] pmwiki.org slow again

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Apr 20 15:10:15 CDT 2005

Just a short note to Pm: pmwiki.org just started to show latencies
again. I did a few measurements with a wall clock and got latencies
between 4 seconds (not very good but tolerable) and 85 seconds
(absolutely horrible).

Once pmwiki.org begins to deliver, the page is completed within
fractions of a second, so it seems that the process is held up and
queued until the server gets around to serving the request.

I don't think it's a stuck harddrive, since then I'd expect pauses
between, say, serving the sidebar and the main contents (these are
separate file accesses). That the latencies occur only at request start
points towards a simpler problem: server overload. Requests get stacked
up in the queue and sometimes take over a minute until the machine gets
around to doing something with them (but a request is allowed to run to
completion once it has started).

Regards,
Jo