[pmwiki-users] Redesigning the edit page

Dominique Faure dominique.faure.1 at free.fr
Mon Apr 25 14:31:18 CDT 2005

At Monday, April 25, 2005 5:40 PM [GMT+1=CET], Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> As mentioned in previous emails and on PITS:00358, I'm wanting to
> redesign the page edit form.  In order to get proposals for how
> the edit page should look, I've enabled a markup-based form at
>
>   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/EditForm
>
> On this page you'll find forms generated by wiki markup (instead
> of configuring the $PageEditFmt variable as is done now).  I've
> also put up examples of the markup that would be used to generate
> PmWiki's current Edit Page form, as well as an example that
> shows some additional buttons and capabilities that are being
> proposed for the edit page.  I'm hoping that others will add
> suggestions on what can be improved, proposal alternate layouts for
> the edit form, and/or otherwise help us arrive at an answer
> for this issue.
>
> The (:ef:) ("edit form") markups are enabled for the entire Test
> group on pmwiki.org, so feel free to start new pages for experimentation.
>
> Notes about compatibility and for designers:
>  - No, the elements aren't identified or classed for CSS yet -- but
>    they certainly will be in the final implementation .
>  - The $PageEditFmt variable will continue to work, so skins and
>    customizations that set custom values of $PageEditFmt can
>    continue to function as before.  (However, the default value of
>    $PageEditFmt will almost certainly change, so scripts that
>    rely on the existing value of $PageEditFmt might not work.)
>  - I'm not committed to using wiki markup for the edit form layout,
>    but so far it looks quite promising.
>
> Anyway, please make comments, suggestions, or improvements to the
> forms at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/EditForm .

Why not keeping this markup principle and offer the edit form (and all
needed others) as a page of a dedicated group (eg named System), editable by
administrators only and with defaults pages provided into 'wikilib.d'
(System.Edit, System.Auth, System.Attr, System.Search, System.Diff,...)?

This could also be the basements of all kind of form driven editing like
PITS and all the other cookbook recipes.

Just my $0.02,
Dom