[pmwiki-users] Edit page extensions

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Apr 25 14:51:45 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:41:14PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
>
>>There should be some way to mark such pages as special. Be it by moving
>>them into a specific (sub-)group, setting an attribute, or whatever.
>>(I'm sick of specifying $PageSearchPattern whenever a new special page
>>is introduced - we don't have a proliferation of groups, but we do have
>>a proliferation of special pages, and it isn't pretty either.)
>

> Fair enough.  Propose something.

Well, I've been tossing some ideas around in various posts.

A solution should do two things:

1) Mark every special pages as such in a systematic way.
2) Take special pages out of the normal name space, to prevent
collisions with normal pages. Also, this removes a design constraint
from the names of special pages ("should not be a common term that might
be used as a name of a normal page"), which is a Good Thing.

I have seen two solutions:

a) hierarchical groups ... well, a can of worms as far as I can tell
from the outside.
b) a special-character prefix - seems a bit "hackish" to me

Currently, I lean towards (b) but I'm open to better proposals.

Whatever the solution, it seems that upgrading would need a script that
moves the existing special pages to their new places in the namespace.
(I don't expect any of this to go into 2.0!)

Regards,
Jo