[pmwiki-users] Convert an MS-Word file to PmWiki?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Apr 29 11:32:55 CDT 2005

Jeff Henry wrote:

> I need to get a couple of big Word documents converted into a set of
> wiki pages on my site. I found this PITS entry:
>
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00424
 >
 > but so far there's no solution listed. Any general pointers?

Pasting from word to a browser window loses all markup information, so
there's no data that PmWiki could work with. So I don't think that the
way Ericka wanted it (directly pasting from Word to PmWIki) will ever work.

> I'm OK with manual conversion, but I'd be interested in any advice
> anyone has for making the process smoother and less tedious. The main
> things I'm looking to convert are bullet lists, numbered lists, bold,
> italics, and headings.

You could write a Word macro. AFAIK there's even online documentation
(you'd have to install it along with Word itself - the MS products tend
to have a kind of incremental install, i.e. you run the setup and change
the options of what was installed, and setup will install and uninstall
as needed).

Alternatively, you could do an RTF export. RTF is a text format, so you
can unleash the full power of regular expressions. You'll have to dig
through a lot of cruft though - the file will start with some extensive
information on document styles, tab positions, font sets, and whatnot.

Regards,
Jo